Design Baby Design


I am being outnumbered. Most of my friends are either having babies, going to have babies, or just had babies. Now, I'm not one to succumb to peer pressure easily - thankfully for my husband - so we will not be joining this new round of fresh babies. We are blessed with the three we have! However, I still want to be part of the new baby experience in some way! 

So, I decided to help my beautiful friend Kathrine come up with some ideas for her nursery.  Here are a few rules I like to abide by:

1.  Pick your fabrics or bedding first. Then choose 2-3 colors that you stick with for the rest of the decor. 

2.  I like to keep nursery decor to a minimum. Nurseries can tend to look cluttered easily with all of the things that they require, so keeping knick knacks to a minimum but choosing artwork that makes a statement is key. 

3.  Always find a way to make it personal in some way. If you use items that aren't necessarily babyish you can reuse them throughout the house when said baby has moved into a bigger kid style. For example, all three pieces of artwork could easily be displayed somewhere else in Kat's house. As for making it personal, the yellow "oh happy day" is a nod to her love of vintage and playing games since the sign is made out of old vintage playing cards. The main deer fabric I chose was because it reminded me of the scripture from Habakkuk (3:19)  "God, the Lord, is my strength;  he makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places." 


4. Since we don't know if Kat is having a boy or a girl I gave her two options for the curtains and area rug keeping it simple by staying in the same color palette. 






Even if Kat decides to go in a  TOTALLY different direction, I am glad I was able to participate in all of this baby love in some way. I have a feeling I will be doing a few more idea boards with all of the baby madness that has erupted here and I'm happy to be a part in any way I can. As long as I am not changing any diapers. I give free love, snuggles and kisses but diapers are gonna cost you. I'm over that. ;) 

Sources for all of the goodness on the idea board....

All Fabric (except polka dot): Sarah Watts Timber & Leaf collection

Fabric - Polka Dot - Robert Kauffman Spot On









11 comments:

Lauren said...

I think that looks like the beginning of a very cute nursery! I love that you used colors that aren't "traditional" baby colors.

melissa beaver said...

i just moved my baby to the nursery. actually, she's one but that's beside the point:) we are in the process of decorating. i won't be buying anything new except the crib sheet. i'm going to make the curtains and add things here and there to the ways. easy peasy. i love your ideas!!

TC Harris said...

Great tips for the nursery!

http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.ca/2013/02/wordless-wednesday-silly-sisters.html

The Wehrungs said...

Kacey, it's beautiful!!! I love it! Now to actually do it ;-) haha thank you for doing this :-) love you!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Love all your ideas! :)

Hot Chocolate Dragon

angie said...

Where were you when I was having babies? This is AMAZING!!!!

Mommy Mac said...

I love when I am given the opportunity to custom design and fabricate nurseries for clients. I have done 5 to date. You have that eye, Kasey! There is no doubt. Glad to see you back in the blog world, friend!

.mac :)

Emmy said...

Yes good to get our little fill from other people's babies in other ways. Love everything you picked out

Elle Sees said...

i have a friend who is expecting--she'd love this!

Sakuranko said...

Oh sweetie your blog is really interesting now I´m following you. I hope u follow me back

http://www.sakuranko.com/

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I love those bright colors together. So fun and original.

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS